From Mobile PC Wiki
What is a Tablet PC
Microsoft set the standard for the term Tablet PC so we will look at their definition that has been evolving since 2002. As of January 2007, the software features and support that defined a Tablet PC are now incorporated into most versions of Window Vista.
The following definition, last updated in February 2005 is still generally applicable.
Computers powered by the Windows XP Tablet PC Edition operating system, and equipped with a sensitive screen designed to interact with a complementary pen, are called Tablet PCs. Tablet PCs are fully-functional laptop PCs and more. You can use the pen directly on the screen just as you would a mouse to do things like select, drag, and open files; or in place of a keyboard to handwrite notes and communication. Unlike a touch screen, the Tablet PC screen only receives information from a special pen. It will not take information from your finger or your shirt sleeve—so you can rest your wrist on the screen and write naturally.
By interacting directly with the screen, rather than with a mouse and keyboard, the PC becomes more comfortable and easy to use. There is no need to find a flat space on which to use your PC, nor does a vertical screen become a dividing wall between you and the person with you whom you are meeting. What's more, a Tablet PC can even be used while standing up, which is perfect for professionals on the move such as doctors, foremen, and sales managers.
Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005 includes all of the features and functionality of Windows XP Professional and Windows XP Service Pack 2. Tablet PCs do not run Windows CE or Windows XP Embedded.
Along with the options typically provided by a conventional laptop, Tablet PCs are certain to include:
see the complete article on Microsoft's site.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Please see Tablet PC/FAQ
The most common question used to be, should I get a Tablet PC, but today the question is which one.
Here is an article about what to consider:
and a tool to help you decide
Tablet PC Reading
Here are some resources to help you to get your head around the idea of Tablet PCs.
- Microsoft Windows XP Tablet PC Edition: An Overview Narrated Tablet PC Presentation
- Developer Resources (Not a developer? You can probably skip these)
- The Evolution of Tablet PC Technologies in Microsoft Windows Vista
- Mobile PC / Vista Developers Overview
- Resources for the Tablet PC Developer The MSDN site for Tablet PC Developers.
- The Tablet PC Show See some Tablet PCs in action. Even though this is primarily for developers, you get to see people actually using Tablet PCs
- What IS a Tablet PC
- How To/Buy A Tablet PC
- Getting Started: Choosing A Slate or Convertible
- Getting Started: Active or Passive Digitizer
- I just bought my Tablet PC What are all these processes?
- How To/Demonstrate Your Tablet PC
- If I knew then, what I know now
- Sending a Student to College or University this Fall Does s/he NEED a Tablet PC?
- Microsoft Tablet PC Portal
- Windows XP Tablet PC Edition frequently asked questions
- Practical Usage Scenarios for Your Tablet PC
- Tablet PC: Transforming Education
Community Sites (MVP Mobile PC)
- Franks World Frank La Vigne
- GottaBeMobile Rob Bushway, Dennis Rice, Warner Crocker, Matt Faulkner: News, InkShows, reviews, editorials, interviews
- Medical Tablet PC Chris M. Wilkerson, D.C.: Healthcare related, Elecronic Medical Record (EMR) software and hardware, information for your Tablet PC in a health care environment
- Mobile PC World Terri Stratton - forum with Chris Hassler / WNewquay
- Nice Creations Chris Hassler
- The Student Tablet PC Trevor Claiborne, Tracy Hooten: Focus on Students
- The Tablet PC Terri Stratton
- Tablet PC Buzz WNewquay, Steve Seto - Moderators (Spencer Goad Founder) Forum
- Tablet PC Corner Stephane Torres (HPClean) French web site!
- Tablet PC Talk Chris de Herrera
- Tablet PC2 Linda Epstein: Tablet PC Comparisons, News, Reviews
- Tablet PC Post Lora Heiny: Software for the Tablet PC
- www.tc-one-thousand.com Dr. Christopher James: The first and best site for the TC1000 and TC1100
- Uber Tablet Hugo Ortega
- Ultra Mobile PC Tips Frank J Garcia - CTitanic
- writepc.com Terri Stratton: Write PCs = Ultra-Mobile PCs - UMPCs
Other MVP Sites
- jkOnTheRun James Kendrick, Kevin C. Tofel
- Law and Tablets T. Bishop
- Life on the Wicked Stage: Act 2 Warner Crocker
- Incremental Blogger Loren Heiny
- Marc Orchant
- Mobile PC Thoughts and Ideas WNewquay
- Craig Pringle
- Tablet PC Place Christopher James
- What Is New Lora Heiny
- Tablet PC Team Blog